In this episode, we read Chapters 40 to 45 of Mansfield Park. We talk about the plot of a girl brought up in privileged circumstances returning to her family, Mary’s letters and how Fanny responds to them, the success of Henry’s visit, Edmund’s letter to Fanny, and Tom’s illness.
We discuss the Price family (with a slight digression into the idea of disposition and principle), then Ellen talks about servants and Harriet looks at how adaptations and modernisations treat these chapters.
Things we mention:
General and character discussion:
- John Wiltshire [Editor], The Cambridge Edition of the Works of Jane Austen: Mansfield Park (2005)
- Charlotte M. Yonge, The Pillars of the House (1873)
- Claire Tomalin, Charles Dickens: A Life (2011)
Popular culture discussion:
- YouTube, Foot in the Door Theatre, From Mansfield With Love (2014-2015)
- Other references:
- Susan Coolidge, What Katy Did Next (1886)
Creative commons music used:
- Extract from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Sonata No. 12 in F Major, ii. Adagio.
- Extract from Joseph Haydn, Piano Sonata No. 38. Performance by Ivan Ilić, recorded in Manchester in December, 2006. File originally from IMSLP.
- Extract from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Sonata No. 13 in B-Flat Major, iii. Allegretto Grazioso. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from George Frideric Handel, Suite I, No. 2 in F Major, ii. Allegro. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from Christoph Willibald Gluck, Orfeo ed Euridice. File from IMSLP.
- Extract from Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Sonata No. 28 in A major. File originally from Musopen.