In this episode, we read Chapters 31 to 34 of Mansfield Park. We talk about Fanny’s initial failure to realise she has received a true proposal, the amount of pressure placed on her to accept, the picture everyone has of little, modest Fanny, and the difference between Sir Thomas and Fanny’s views of marriage.
We discuss Henry Crawford, then Ellen talks about ordination, and Harriet looks at how adaptations and modernisations treat these chapters, particularly the scene between Fanny and Sir Thomas.
Things we mention:
Reasons for delay
- Harriet’s Virtual JaneCon video: Wearing a flannel waistcoat to a duel: Why we don’t see Colonel Brandon as a Romantic hero
General and character discussion:
- Irene Collins, Jane Austen and the Clergy (2002)
- The 1559 Book of Common Prayer
- Georgina Battiscombe, John Keble: A Study in Limitations (1963)
Popular culture discussion:
- YouTube, Foot in the Door Theatre, From Mansfield With Love (2014-2015)
Comment on previous episode
- The Thing About Austen [podcast]
Creative commons music used:
- Extract from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Sonata No. 12 in F Major, ii. Adagio.
- Extract from Joseph Haydn, Piano Sonata No. 38. Performance by Ivan Ilić, recorded in Manchester in December, 2006. File originally from IMSLP.
- Extract from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Sonata No. 13 in B-Flat Major, iii. Allegretto Grazioso. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from George Frideric Handel, Suite I, No. 2 in F Major, ii. Allegro. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from Christoph Willibald Gluck, Orfeo ed Euridice. File from IMSLP.
- Extract from Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Sonata No. 28 in A major. File originally from Musopen.