In this episode, we read Chapters 26 to 30 of Mansfield Park. We talk about Fanny’s preparations for the ball, the amber cross, her emotion reactions after Edmund gives her the chain, her post-ball meeting with Mary, and the scene where Henry tells Mary he plans to marry Fanny.
We discuss Lady Bertram, then Ellen talks about what is meant by being ‘out’, and Harriet follows this with some information about balls and dancing. Harriet also talks about how adaptations and modernisations treat these chapters.
Things we mention:
General and character discussion:
- John Wiltshire [Editor], The Cambridge Edition of the Works of Jane Austen: Mansfield Park (2005)
- Helena Kelly, Jane Austen, the Secret Radical (2016) [sees the amber cross and chain as a metaphor for slavery and Christianity]
- Jillian Heydt-Stevenson, Jane Austen’s Unbecoming Conjunctions: Subversive Laughter, Embodied History (2005) [sees the amber cross, chain and necklace as a sexual metaphor]
- The topaz crosses that belonged to Jane and Cassandra Austen:
Credit: Jane Austen’s House Museum, photography by Peter Smith
- Adrian Dickens, Jewels of the Regency (2022 – YouTube video of presentation to the Jane Austen Society of Australia)
- Sheila Kaye-Smith and G.B. Stern, Talking of Jane Austen (1943)
- The Daily Knightley (2021) [podcast]
- John Sutherland, Can Jane Eyre be happy? (2000)
- William Hogarth, The Painter and his Pug (1745)
- The Regency novels of Georgette Heyer (1902-1974)
- Tea with Cassiane YouTube videos about Regency dancing
Popular culture discussion:
- YouTube, Foot in the Door Theatre, From Mansfield With Love (2014-2015)
Creative commons music used:
- Extract from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Sonata No. 12 in F Major, ii. Adagio.
- Extract from Joseph Haydn, Piano Sonata No. 38. Performance by Ivan Ilić, recorded in Manchester in December, 2006. File originally from IMSLP.
- Extract from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Sonata No. 13 in B-Flat Major, iii. Allegretto Grazioso. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from George Frideric Handel, Suite I, No. 2 in F Major, ii. Allegro. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Sonata No. 28 in A major. File originally from Musopen.