In this episode, we read Chapters 26 to 31 of Sense and Sensibility. We talk about how unsatisfying Ellen found several of these chapters, the role of gossip, the similarity between Elinor’s and Marianne’s situations, the importance of reputation, and whether the turnaround in our perception of Mrs Jennings was planned for by Jane Austen.
We discuss the character of Marianne, then Harriet’s partner, Michael, talks about duelling in Regency England. Harriet talks about how the adaptations present these sections, and how the modernisations update the Willoughby-Colonel Brandon-Marianne stories.
Things we mention:
- Claire Tomalin, Jane Austen: A Life (1997)
- Dorothy L. Sayers, Gaudy Night (1935) – it is in this book that Lord Peter Wimsey comments on duelling with pistols rather than swords
- The Regency novels of Georgette Heyer (1902-1974)
Adaptations of the book:
- BBC, Sense and Sensibility (1971) – starring Joanna David and Ciaran Madden (4 episodes)
- BBC, Sense and Sensibility (1981) – starring Irene Richard and Tracey Childs (7 episodes)
- Columbia Pictures, Sense and Sensibility (1995) – starring Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet
- BBC, Sense and Sensibility (2008) – starring Hattie Morahan and Charity Wakefield (3 episodes)
Modernisations of the book:
- Sri Surya Films, Kandukondain Kandukondain (2000) – starring Tabu and Aishwarya Rai
- MGM, Material Girls (2006) – starring Hilary Duff and Haylie Duff
- MWM Studios, From Prada to Nada (2011) – starring Camilla Belle and Alexa PenaVega
- Silver Peak Productions, Scents and Sensibility (2011) – starring Ashley Williams and Marla Sokoloff
- Joanna Trollope, Sense & Sensibility (The Austen Project #1) (2013)
- YouTube, Elinor and Marianne Take Barton (2014) – starring Abi Davies and Bonita Trigg
Creative commons music used:
- Extract from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Sonata No. 12 in F Major, ii. Adagio.
- Extract from Joseph Haydn, Piano Sonata No. 38. Performance by Ivan Ilić, recorded in Manchester in December, 2006. File originally from IMSLP.
- Extract from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Sonata No. 13 in B-Flat Major, iii. Allegretto Grazioso. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from George Frideric Handel, Suite I, No. 2 in F Major, ii. Allegro. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Sonata No. 28 in A major. File originally from Musopen.