In this episode, we read Chapters 21 to 25 of Sense and Sensibility. We talk about Jane Austen’s use of compound sentences, Lady Middleton’s concern with gentility, the verbal fencing match between Elinor and Lucy, Elinor’s emotions, and Mrs Jennings’ invitation to Elinor and Marianne.
We discuss Lucy and Anne Steele, and then Ellen talks about childhood in the time of Jane Austen. Harriet talks about adaptations, and two of the modernisations.
At the end of the episode, we respond to some listener feedback about the book Jane Austen, the Secret Radical. As an extension of this, you can read our analysis of the timeline around the birth of Eliza Williams.
Things we mention:
- Edward Copeland [Editor], The Cambridge Edition of the Works of Jane Austen: Sense and Sensibility (2006)
- Sheila Kaye-Smith and G.B. Stern, Talking of Jane Austen (1943) and More Talk of Jane Austen (1950)
- Peter Laslett, The World We Have Lost (1965)
- Philippe Ariès, Centuries of Childhood: A Social History of Family Life (1960)
- Mary Martha Sherwood, The Fairchild Family (1818)
- Thomas Day, The History of Sandford and Merton (1783)
- Honora Edgeworth and Richard Lovell Edgeworth, Practical Education (1780)
- Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre (1847)
- Helena Kelly, Jane Austen, the Secret Radical (2016)
- Robert Rodi, Bitch In a Bonnet: Reclaiming Jane Austen From the Stiffs, the Snobs, the Simps and the Saps (2011)
Adaptations of the book:
- BBC, Sense and Sensibility (1971) – starring Joanna David and Ciaran Madden (4 episodes)
- BBC, Sense and Sensibility (1981) – starring Irene Richard and Tracey Childs (7 episodes)
- Columbia Pictures, Sense and Sensibility (1995) – starring Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet
- BBC, Sense and Sensibility (2008) – starring Hattie Morahan and Charity Wakefield (3 episodes)
Modernisations of the book:
- Joanna Trollope, Sense & Sensibility (The Austen Project #1) (2013)
- YouTube, Elinor and Marianne Take Barton (2014) – starring Abi Davies and Bonita Trigg
Creative commons music used:
- Extract from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Sonata No. 12 in F Major, ii. Adagio.
- Extract from Joseph Haydn, Piano Sonata No. 38. Performance by Ivan Ilić, recorded in Manchester in December, 2006. File originally from IMSLP.
- Extract from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Sonata No. 13 in B-Flat Major, iii. Allegretto Grazioso. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from George Frideric Handel, Suite I, No. 2 in F Major, ii. Allegro. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from Christoph Willibald Gluck, Orfeo ed Euridice. File from IMSLP.
- Extract from Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Sonata No. 28 in A major. File originally from Musopen.