In this episode, we read Chapters 6 to 11 of Sense and Sensibility. We talk about how Barton Cottage and its location are described in some detail, consider how the bedrooms are shared out, the closeness between the two sisters in spite of their differences, the theme of sense vs sensibility, and the way Willoughby and Marianne criticise Colonel Brandon.
We discuss the character of Mrs Jennings, then Ellen talks about how members of the gentry spent their time, and Harriet talks about how adaptations and modernisations treat these chapters (including a discussion about how the Dashwoods have adapted to having less money). Harriet also gives an overview of the other Jane Austen podcasts that are out there.
Things we mention:
- Edward Copeland [Editor], The Cambridge Edition of the Works of Jane Austen: Sense and Sensibility (2006)
- The epigrams of Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
- Thorstein Veblen, The Theory of the Leisure Class: An Economic Study of Institutions (1899)
- Karl Marx (1818-1883)
- Max Weber (1864-1920)
- Sue Birtwistle and Susie Conklin, The Making of Pride and Prejudice (1995)
- Emma Thompson, The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay and Diaries: Bringing Jane Austen’s Novel to Film (1995)
Adaptations of the book:
- BBC, Sense and Sensibility (1971) – starring Joanna David and Ciaran Madden (4 episodes)
- BBC, Sense and Sensibility (1981) – starring Irene Richard and Tracey Childs (7 episodes)
- Columbia Pictures, Sense and Sensibility (1995) – starring Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet
- BBC, Sense and Sensibility (2008) – starring Hattie Morahan and Charity Wakefield (3 episodes)
Modernisations of the book:
- Joanna Trollope, Sense & Sensibility (The Austen Project #1) (2013)
- YouTube, Elinor and Marianne Take Barton (2014) – starring Abi Davies and Bonita Trigg
Other Jane Austen podcasts:
- First Impressions: Why all the Austen haters are wrong
- Bonnets at Dawn
- The Daily Knightley: A Jane Austen journey
- The Austen Archives
- Manners and Madness
- Reclaiming Jane
Creative commons music used:
- Extract from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Sonata No. 12 in F Major, ii. Adagio.
- Extract from Joseph Haydn, Piano Sonata No. 38. Performance by Ivan Ilić, recorded in Manchester in December, 2006. File originally from IMSLP.
- Extract from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Sonata No. 13 in B-Flat Major, iii. Allegretto Grazioso. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from George Frideric Handel, Suite I, No. 2 in F Major, ii. Allegro. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from Christoph Willibald Gluck, Orfeo ed Euridice. File from IMSLP.
- Extract from Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Sonata No. 28 in A major. File originally from Musopen.