In this episode, we talk about Elizabeth’s feelings towards Wickham and Colonel Fitzwilliam, the married life of the Collinses, why we find Lady Catherine de Burgh more funny than Mr Collins, and what we know about Anne de Burgh.
We discuss Mr Darcy in some detail, and then Ellen talks about the the presentation of livings to country rectors. Harriet looks at how the film and television adaptations present Mr Darcy, and also which is her favourite screen version of Lady Catherine de Burgh.
Things we mention:
- The character of Uriah Heep in Charles Dickens, David Copperfield (1850)
- Amanda Grange, Mr Darcy’s Diary (2005)
- Phyllis Ferguson Bottomer, So Odd a Mixture: Along the Autistic Spectrum in ‘Pride and Prejudice’ (2007)
- Sheila Kaye-Smith and G.B. Stern, Talking of Jane Austen (1943) and More Talk of Jane Austen (1950)
- Robert Rodi, Bitch In a Bonnet: Reclaiming Jane Austen From the Stiffs, the Snobs, the Simps and the Saps, Volume 1 (2011)
- The character of Heathcliff in Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights (1847)
- The character of Rochester in Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre (1847)
- Jilly Cooper, Prudence (1978)
- Anthony Trollope, Barchester Towers (1857)
- The works of Charlotte M. Yonge
- Laurence Olivier, On Acting (1986)
- The works of Georgette Heyer
- Sue Birtwistle, Sue Conklin, Susie Conklin, The Making of Pride and Prejudice (1995)
Movies and television:
- MGM, Pride and Prejudice (1940) – starring Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier
- The Samuel Goldwyn Company, Wuthering Heights (1940) – starring Merle Oberon and Laurence Olivier
- BBC, Pride and Prejudice (1980) – starring Elizabeth Garvie and David Rintoul
- BBC, Pride and Prejudice (1995) – starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth
- Focus Features, Pride & Prejudice (2005) – starring Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen
- Pathé Pictures International, Bride and Prejudice (2004) – starring Aishwarya Rai and Martin Henderson
- YouTube, Lizzie Bennet Diaries (2012) – starring Ashley Clements and Daniel Vincent Gordh
Creative commons music used:
- Extract from Joseph Haydn, Piano Sonata No. 38. Performance by Ivan Ilić, recorded in Manchester in December, 2006. File originally from IMSLP.
- Extract from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Sonata No. 13 in B-Flat Major, iii. Allegretto Grazioso. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from George Frideric Handel, Suite I, No. 2 in F Major, ii. Allegro. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Sonata No. 28 in A major. File originally from Musopen.