In this episode, we talk about the arrivals of Mr Collins and Mr Wickham, and the Netherfield Ball: we consider how Mr Bennet didn’t give the family any warning about Mr Collins’s arrival, the number of letters in the book, the amount of foreshadowing we’ve seen, how Wickham was able to fool Elizabeth, and Elizabeth’s and Darcy’s conversation while dancing.
We discuss Mr Collins in some detail, and then Ellen talks about entails. Harriet looks at how Mr Colllins and Mr Wickham have been presented in the various film and television versions of Pride and Prejudice, and also how they deal with the Netherfield Ball.
Things we mention:
- Sheila Kaye-Smith and G.B. Stern, Talking of Jane Austen (1943) and More Talk of Jane Austen (1950)
- Illustration of Mr Collins by Philip Gough in a 1951 edition of Pride and Prejudice.
- MGM, Pride and Prejudice (1940) – starring Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier
- BBC, Pride and Prejudice (1980) – starring Elizabeth Garvie and David Rintoul
- BBC, Pride and Prejudice (1995) – starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth
- Focus Features, Pride & Prejudice (2005) – starring Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen
- Pathé Pictures International, Bride and Prejudice (2004) – starring Aishwarya Rai and Martin Henderson
- YouTube, Lizzie Bennet Diaries (2012) – starring Ashley Clements and Daniel Vincent Gordh
Creative commons music used
- Extract from Joseph Haydn, Piano Sonata No. 38. Performance by Ivan Ilić, recorded in Manchester in December, 2006. File originally from IMSLP.
- Extract from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Sonata No. 13 in B-Flat Major, iii. Allegretto Grazioso. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from George Frideric Handel, Suite I, No. 2 in F Major, ii. Allegro. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from Christoph Willibald Gluck, Orfeo ed Euridice. File from IMSLP.
- Extract from Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Sonata No. 28 in A major. File originally from Musopen.