In this episode, we talk about Jane and Elizabeth’s visit to Netherfield: we consider why Jane was invited, Darcy’s feelings about Elizabeth, the types of conversations everyone has and what Darcy reads.
We discuss Mr Bingley in some detail, including how he and Darcy might have met, and then Ellen talks about accomplishments. Harriet looks at how Mr Bingley has been presented in the various film and television versions of Pride and Prejudice.
Things we mention:
- Sue Birtwistle, Sue Conklin, Susie Conklin, The Making of Pride and Prejudice (1995)
- Charles Dickens, Bleak House (1853)
- Hester Chapone, Letters on the Improvement of the Mind, Addressed to a Lady
- Hannah More, Coelebs in Search of a Wife
- Georgette Heyer, Cotillion (1953)
- MGM, Pride and Prejudice (1940) – starring Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier
- BBC, Pride and Prejudice (1980) – starring Elizabeth Garvie and David Rintoul
- BBC, Pride and Prejudice (1995) – starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth
- Focus Features, Pride & Prejudice (2005) – starring Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen
- Pathé Pictures International, Bride and Prejudice (2004) – starring Aishwarya Rai and Martin Henderson
- YouTube, Lizzie Bennet Diaries (2012) – starring Ashley Clements and Daniel Vincent Gordh
- Curtis Sittenfeld, Eligible (2016)
Creative commons music used
- Extract from Joseph Haydn, Piano Sonata No. 38. Performance by Ivan Ilić, recorded in Manchester in December, 2006. File originally from IMSLP.
- Extract from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Sonata No. 13 in B-Flat Major, iii. Allegretto Grazioso. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from George Frideric Handel, Suite I, No. 2 in F Major, ii. Allegro. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Sonata No. 28 in A major. File originally from Musopen.
- Extract from Christoph Willibald Gluck, Orfeo ed Euridice. File from IMSLP.